Friday, June 5, 2009

Etsy, Sweet Etsy

So I realized that Craigslist porbably wasn't the best venue for my talent. I got a few nibbles but I also got people telling me that replacement covers shouldn't be used because they are not "origional" equipment. Now I think of myself as a hard nose about car seats, but I think that is going over the top. I also had someone post that replacement covers shouldn't be used because they weren't flame retardant. Well, personally, if your car is on fire and your baby is inside I think you have more to worry about than weather or not your baby's car seat cover is flame retardant. I would want to get the car seat and the baby away from the flames so I never needed to know if it was flame retardant!!!

OK, I digress...
So...another online outlet for handmade goods...HMMM...

How about Etsy!?!?!?!!!

So I gave it a try. I posted my Bangle Dot SnugRide cover and in that posting I mentioned that I could do custom seat covers. Enter Adrienne Berry from Dingbat Press. She was expecting #3 and wanted some style in her car seat. She had looked for car seat covers before her other two kiddos were born but they all looked too slipcover-ish. She contacted me about the possibility of making a custom seat for her. You bet.

Here is the cover I made for her and her sweet son, Charlie. She started the process with only two weeks to go, then Charlie came early. Nevertheless, she got her seat cover the day she brougt Charlie home. She left me some wonderful feedback:

Heather,
This is simply amazing! I sew a lot but a car seat cover is one thing I don't ever want to attempt. I'm so glad I found you and will be leaving positive feedback tonight on Etsy. I've looked over the years each time I've had a kid and have never been in love with how most of the covers are made so I've never ordered.
With your cover I seriously can't imagine a better product. The craftsmanship is impeccable and is made like a REAL carseat cover should be: to FIT. I might be back for a second (if I can find some cute enough fabric the second time around) so I can switch them out for laundry time! Great work, you really know what you are doing. This is certainly one of a kind, I'll be gushing about you for ever I think!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing it! It is always a joy to learn something that I didn't know. I have you to thank for teaching me something new.

    see here my post Steering Covers Manufacturers

    Car Seat Cover Manufacturers

    ReplyDelete