Monday, July 20, 2009

Making up for time off

Etsy has been great!! I have received more orders that I thought I would. In early June things were really rolling and I was getting a little concerned because my family and I were preparing for a trip to Utah. I started posting "Vacation Alerts" on my shop page to let customers know that I would be out of the shop. Everyone was very understanding and the orders kept coming.
Sadly, on June 11, 2009 my mother passed away suddenly of heart complications and our initial vacation turned into taking care of the needs of my family. When we returned from Utah I had fabric for 4 car seats waiting at the post office.

In the three weeks following my "vacation" I made 7 car seat covers. The fabric for this one arrived the day we left for Portland, OR to be with my Dad. This cover includes strap covers. Initially I had been against making strap covers because they can interfere with how the straps fit the baby. This customer's SafeSeat originally came with strap covers so I had her measure them and I made her some.


I love this combination!! At first I was concerned about using Minky fabric because it is a knit
and therefore is not as stable as a woven fabric would be. However, I have seen that it is used extensively in the online car seat cover market so I wasn't going o refuse. It really does work great. I did reinforce behind the button holes for the straps because I was afraid it would stretch funny without it. I also added custom embroidery on this seat with very stylish results.

It seems that a majority of the covers that I make are for girls. Some are a little bit feminine and others are just plain girlie. This one is just plain girly, but I had a lot of fun playing with the different contrasting fabrics. To me, this is the joy of a custom cover. Every one's taste is so different and designing your own car seat is a way to show your individual style.

No comments:

Post a Comment